Saturday, April 2, 2011

Rooting Gone Bad + Road to Recovery (I Hope)

Received on 3/31 my ViewSonic gTablet from the Woot sale. Immediately started researching rooting it and modifying it. To tell the truth, being able to run things on a tablet the way I want it is half the whole reason I want Android.

So I found the XDA Developers forum, registered and started my research. Perhaps being a Linux user, or perhaps the fact that rooting and installing the ClockworkMod Recovery was easy and smooth, made me feel a bit too brave than I should have. Anyway, I ended up following this simple set of instructions rather than dig deeper on the forum. I installed VEGAn-7-03082011-Experimental, rather than VEGAn 6 stable version, since many have reported that the VEGAn 7 experimental releases are stable enough for daily use.

Well, the gtablet ended up in a state where it powers up, displays the ViewSonic 3-bird image, and stops there. That was last night.

But all is not lost. Far from it, since I can hold volume up and start the gTablet in to the ClockworkMod Recovery mode.

At this point, I think I still have an option to repartition the tablet's inner storage (also an SD card?) before nvflash it.

References
[Edit] -- Problem solved! The install guide listed first in the references above really made it easy. I guess the problem I had was caused either by missing a step (although I am pretty sure I followed the instructions to the letter) somewhere, or by the fact that the VEGAn 7 build is not for my particular gTablet.

Anyway, I redid the mod using the stable release of VEGAn v5.1 beta release. My tablet is back. Now I need to get Android Market working so I can get my apps.

[Resolved]

No comments:

Post a Comment