Saturday, December 31, 2011

Ubuntu 11.10 Unity Annoyances

I gave up on Unity on my netbook long ago, but I thought I'd give it a try on my desktop. The longer I use it, the more it annoys me, in many small ways, and below is a small list of them:
  1. Application menu

    You have to move an application window all the way to the top of the screen so that its top edge touches the app panel to make sure you have the application menu. Otherwise, for example, if you are using GIMP, and there is another application window between the image window and the app panel in the background, moving the mouse across the app in the background up to the app panel will make it display the background application's menu instead of GIMP's menu.

    I realize that this may be the residual effect of me setting up Gnome desktop to focus on the window where my mouse pointer is. I could probably figure out how to turn that off -- but I don't want to. I like to have the ability to enter text using the keyboard while the application may be sitting in the background.

  2. Missing application logos

    Many application are still missing logos in the applications panes. I was hoping the situation would turn better as 11.10 updated over time, but that has not happened yet.
I googled a bit to see what others thought. Some people seem to like it. But more do not. A snapshot of a vote in a TechRepublic article:


I think I am going back to Gnome for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment