Friday, November 19, 2010

Windows Server 2003 Scheduled Task Problem

This problem popped up for the second time today: When scheduling a weekly task on a Windows 2003 server, I got this error message:
0x80090016: keyset does not exist
A simple Google search led me to this Microsoft Knowledge Base article,

But I could not find the registry entry mentioned in that article, at all:
HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Cryptography\UserKeys\Schedule
It seems that Windows 2003 is a beast vastly different from 2000. Some more research later, I found this blog entry by John Daskalakis. However, I could not find the registry key mentioned there either.

Fortunately, I did find this folder:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\S-1-5-18
So, I simply renamed that folder to something like "S-1-5-18-Not-used" and restarted the server. Problem solved.

Not sure why both articles mention "boot you computer in Safe mode", which seems unnecessary -- I had no problem renaming the folder in a Cygwin bash window.

No comments:

Post a Comment